Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Man and His Dog

I have called in a lot of different animals while calling for predators. I've called in hawks, deer, cows, domestic dogs, javelina, rabbits - the list goes on. Most of the animals respond out of curiosity; obviously a deer isn't coming in to eat a dying rabbit. They usually show up, check things out, and leave without incident. Today I got a bit of a surprise, though.

I set up in a small clearing, and decided to use a digital caller for the stand. I was also using my ladder, backed up into some junipers, so that I could get a great view of any incoming animals and also to keep myself above their usual line of sight. About 5 minutes into the stand, I hear something coming from behind me, but I know it's not a predator; well, not the kind I'm after, anyways. Pretty soon I see him - a man has heard the call! I stop the dying rabbit sound and he pauses at the edge of the clearin, not even 30 feet from me. I'm a little out of sight, though, and well camouflaged. He looks around the area, then turns to leave so I hit the call again. Instantly he spins on his heels, searching once more for the source. Finally he leaves and I figure that's that, but oh no - he's coming back. And this time he brought his dog!

His young Queensland heeler trots eagerly behind him as I really turn the call up, then shut it off just as they are about to breach the brushline. As they step out into the clearing, the man is trying to nudge his dog out into the area, presumably to find the screaming animal. The dog is less than interested, however, and is just kind of trotting around. They are now less than 25 feet from me! I almost call out to them, but decide to let the man's mind wonder as he takes his dog back from whence they came. I wait for about 5 minutes, then turn the caller all the way up and un-mute it! You could probably hear that thing for a mile! But the man and his dog do not return, and I head off to another stand, to try and fool another predator.

No comments:

Post a Comment