Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Oh what do I do in the summer time?

As most of you know I do not pursue coyotes during the summer time even though Arizona has a year-round coyote season. Other predators are now out of season, but coyotes are always available for hunting here. There are many ideas from many different hunters on this topic, and whatever you do I'm sure you have a good reason for it. I will hunt coyotes at a rancher's request or during antelope fawning periods during the spring and summer, but other than that I leave them alone until August. This allows the pups plenty of time to grow and gives me more targets for next season - not to mention that it's gettting hot out there right now!

With all that said, I often find myself in a discussion with other hunters about what I do during the summer time to prepare for the next predator season. Well where do I begin?! There's equipment to maintain, rifles to clean, calls to practice with, new terrain to scout, staying in contact with my hunting buddies, and my personal favorite, shooting! Staying well-practiced with your chosen firearms is a necessity for making quick and well-placed shots next season. Whether you choose shooting paper, steel targets, or soda cans, you should be spending a good portion of your range time focused on quick and accurate shooting. I prefer a mixture of all of them, so I utilize life-sized animal targets, steel swingers, and paper targets when I go shooting.



However, it's my opinion that nothing can beat the fast paced shooting that you can get while hunting rabbits! You'll need to check your local hunting regulations to make sure that you are within the correct season, but here in Arizona we have a year-round season on rabbits. If you can place a precision shot on a small game animal at long ranges or while they are on the run, then you will find that making clean kills on predators when the season rolls around will be a snap. Focus on making one-shot kills and shooting from different positions. Practice moving quietly through the brush and spotting them hiding in the brushlines (just like a predator will do). Try out any new gear that you'll want to use next season, such as ghillie suits, packs, or rifle slings. This type of hunting is a perfect way to field test your gear, practice your shooting, and have a good time doing it.



So don't just sit around in the A/C all summer - get out there and get ready for anything! And with warmer temps and beautiful days, don't forget to take a kid out into the field with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment