Thursday, July 14, 2011

Urban Predators: more than just "cute and fuzzy"

"The bobcats are so beautiful", "coyotes are native to this area and should be left alone", and "live and let live, that's what I say." I've heard it all when it comes to hunting predators in urban and even rural areas. Many people enjoy the native wildlife in their backyard - I know I really love to see animals any chance I get. It's why I hike, camp, hunt, and spend all the time I can in the outdoors.

But then Fluffy disappears. Fido goes missing. The call goes out "My pet is lost! Someone help!" No my friend, your pet is not lost. It's lunch. And then the fury comes from Bowser's owner: "Why hasn't someone done something about these darn coyotes?!" It always turns out the same way - some pet (or some person) gets hurt or worse, and then suddenly the animals are the bad guys. Here in Arizona I saw the following news stories all happen in just one week. It starts like this . . . .

Hot Weather Brings Coyotes to Central Phoenix

Couple Catches Baby Bobcats on Home Video

Bobcat Perches Atop Saguaro

And ends like this . . . .

Dumpster-Scavenging Bear Attacks Woman

Whether displaced from fires, weather, suburban development, or any other outside force, predators in your neighborhood are not something to be taken lightly. Though they are fun to see and beautiful animals to watch, they deserve respect and should be given a wide berth. They do not care how much you love your Fluffy or your Fido or your son or daughter - they think only of their next meal and their survival. Respect them, or pay the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment