Thursday, January 17, 2013

First fox turns into a triple fox!

A former Coyote Clinic student emailed me this story and pictures last week, and I wanted to share it because it's such an awesome story! He has been working on getting a gray fox for a while, and with a change of tactics and sounds that he picked up in the Coyote Clinic, he was able to not just get 1 fox, but get 3 within 48 seconds! I'll let Justin tell his full story:

Well I finally broke my curse and killed my first fox! It was the final stand of the morning and I decided to sit in a wash at the mouth of two smalll canyons. I set up the ecaller about 15 yards away from me and played some various birds in distress calls with no luck. At the 9 min mark I switched to Screaming Grey and within seconds saw a flash of something in the brush. A few seconds after that and there was a nice sized fox 30 yards away focused on the caller. I shot him with my 870 using #4 buck and he dropped. I quickly changed the sound to fox in distress and moments later a second fox showed up on the other side of the wash. He saw me turn towards him and he sprinted, I took a running broadside shot and he rolled. Turns out I had in error grabbed some 7.5 bird shot but at 16 yards it was plenty to make a humane kill. Well by now I felt like getting up and doing a victory dance but decided to change the sound to fox/rabbit and really push it. I am so glad I did becuase seconds later a third fox shows up and just stands there staring at the call wondering why it's not furry while I take aim and blast him. All total I went from 0 foxes to 3 foxes in 48 seconds! It was a rush!

I want to thank Glen (Rizzo) for the tips he gave me on hunting fox. He is the reason I switched to different fox vocalizations and kept calling after the first shot. I had heard that before but until I heard it from him I never really believed they would keep coming in.


 
 
 
Thanks for the story and pictures, Justin!
 
Happy Hunting!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment