Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Shoot / Don't Shoot

When I was 11 years old I took a Hunter Education Course here in Arizona - and that is something I recommend that every hunter do, even if they are older or more experienced hunters. We watched a video called "Shoot / Don't Shoot" in which they showed various hunting scenes, like bucks on hilltops or elk in ravines, and then we had to decide whether it was safe to shoot or not. The lessons that I learned that night, which have been added to with experience in the field, have helped me many times as I've had to decide between shooting an animal or waiting for a safer shot. A predator stand I did this last week really made me think about the importance of safe shooting, especially when you're hunting with a partner.

I had some time Wednesday morning for a few stands, and my Dad decided that he'd like to go with me. On our second stand of the day we setup in a small field which was bordered by a creek. I set up with my Dad downwind of me, hoping he would get a shot at anything coming in. At around 8 minutes, a coyote comes in from my left, trots to about 20 yards from me, gets a good look at the decoy I had setup next to me but was totally unaware of me just a few feet away. The coyote starts to lateral in front of me to get a sniff downwind. I saw my Dad shift to get a shot, but when the dog stopped to look at the decoy again, it was directly between my Dad and I. Now I know there are some guys out there that may have gotten excited and tried for this shot, but a miss on either my part or my Dad's could have ended with one of us in the hospital, or worse. The coyote was totally fluid and comfortable, so I didn't rush anything and she was completely unaware of my Dad. She started trotting downwind again, and got clear of a crossfire situation. I hesitated for just a minute as that video from years ago came to my mind - one scene in particular: two guys are quail hunting, but lose sight of one another. One of them flushes quail and starts shooting them, only to discover that he had shot his friend who was behind the quail in the bushes. I consider the fact that I am using a shotgun and that the spread may extend beyond the coyote and towards my Dad. The coyote is now really close to me, and I knew my Dad wouldn't shoot that close to me. I shift my position so that my pattern will be safely beyond my Dad, and I help that coyote avoid the cold winter.

This stand ended well with a coyote down, some up close action, and both of us happy. It ended this way because we were both aware of where the other guy was, which is really important when you're completely hidden in camo and the adrenaline starts to pump. So remember to be safe - a coyote, bobcat, deer, or trophy elk is not worth the life of another human being.

My Dad really knows how to get dressed up for a picture.



This was my first coyote while using my new call lanyard from Daniel Harmon, and I liked it very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment