Wednesday, December 23, 2009

There's always time for one more stand!

It's been cold and windy and snowy here the last few days, and that means that predators will be hungry when the storm breaks. Well it broke early this morning and I knew that meant it was time to hunt. I headed out to try some local spots, but at my first stand the wind was still blowing so hard it blew my hat off and nearly froze my fingers, so I packed it up and headed a bit farther south. It was a bit of a drive but I knew if I was going to beat the wind I needed to get to a different weather zone, and upon arrival at my new location I was glad I had committed to the travel time. There was no wind and the air was a few degrees warmer.

It turned out that someone must have come by just before me and killed all the coyotes, though. I hiked far back into washes and thick brush, but three stands produced no fur, and my free time was running short, so I jumped back in the truck and headed home. As I neared the freeway, I noticed a small canyon that was tucked out of the way and in some thicker brush. Part of me wanted to continue the drive home, but the better part of me (the part that almost always wins) said "there's always time for one more stand!" It would be pushing my time constraints, but I threw caution to the wind, parked in a small turnout, and headed out into the cedars. Right away I knew it would be good, as I nearly tripped over coyote scat when I got out of the truck. I walked about 1/4 mile back into the brush, near the base of small mountain, and set up the stand. I started it off with some low and raspy fox distress, and about four minutes in this coyote comes busting into the open, standing directly in my downwind and getting a nose full of rizzo, to be sure. I knew I didn't have much time, and he looked like he saw me just as I raised the shotgun and settled the barrel over him. But it was too late to run as a load of #4 buckshot found its mark. The yote gave a loud 'yip' as it fell, no, more like nosedived right into some prickly pear cactus.



He had quite a few needles in him, but I couldn't just leave him there so I pulled him out, and while I was at it I grabbed a hero shot.



So remember: even if things aren't cooperating, even when you're thinking of going home - there's always time for one more stand!

No comments:

Post a Comment