Monday, September 5, 2011

A coyote is "blown" away

I realized today that it's been a month since I wrote anything here! I have been so busy with training lately that except for a few quick stands I haven't been out hunting much, and I'm sad to say that those few quick stands haven't produced anything. So I decided to drag an old story out, dust it off, and share it with you!

I have a friend who will probably want to remain anonymous after this story, so I'll make sure to give Casey a false name . . . oh dang, well I guess the cat's out of the bag now! On with the story . . . .

Casey and I headed out early one morning before dawn for a few hours of hunting not too far from my house. Our goal was to setup on the top of a hill and stay on stand for a half-hour or so in order to draw in any coyotes from the surrounding hills and deep washes. I sat above Casey, as I was doing the calling, and he sat in a really prime shooting position.

30 minutes came and 30 minutes went and I hadn't seen anything. I signalled to Casey that the stand was over, and once I received the "all clear" I stood up and looked over at him. He slowly raised himself up, stretched his arms wide and tall and then . . . . BRRRRRRPPPPPPP! He let loose with the biggest fart I may have ever heard. As he started to say "I've been holding that in for a long time" I caught movement to my right and turned my head just to see a coyote that had been on approach, and made it pretty close to us, do a full-speed 180 turn and make for the horizon. The realization that Casey's "gas attack" had scared this coyote away suddenly had me laughing me so hard that I never even raised my rifle! Through my tears, which had now come on full strength, I watched the coyote speed away down the hill and across a large opening. I walked over, slapped Casey on the back, and congratulated him on the most unique method of "blowing a coyote away" that I had ever seen.

Of course, he loves it when I tell this story. Here's to you, Casey!


This is what that coyote looked like through my tears of laughter. When he finally stopped and took a breath, I wonder what he was thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment