Friday, September 23, 2011

Skull Display Update

I had so much fun making that bobcat display that I just had to try it again. This time I went with a rectangular display, burned the wood, and then stained it. Looks pretty good, and putting the shelf in for the skull wasn't as hard as I had expected. The pictures don't really do it justice, though - it's actually slid into the main piece, and it's very sturdy. The picture is of my dear ol' Dad with a giant gray fox (12 lbs, actually) and his trusty .22 rifle. Quick tidbit about my Dad and .22 rifles: he pretty much kills everything with a .22 to the head. Need to kill a quail at 80 yards? A .22 to the head will do it. Need to shoot a fox that's running into the call? No problem - .22 to the head. Got a wounded elk that needs put down? Wild dogs in your neighborhood? You guessed it - .22 to the cranium. Let's just say that he's ready for anything that a potential zombie invasion could throw at him. Rock on, Dad.




And here's another view of the bobcat display, this time hanging on the wall. I'm pretty sure that these displays will become a part of my skull cleaning services if I can generate the interest. I'd like to do some engraving on them, such as scientific names, date of the hunt, common name, etc. And I'd really like to tackle a display like this for something big, like a bear or a cougar. Even a javelina would do. Guess I have some hunting to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment