Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Close Quarters Hunting . . . . and Bagging a Gray Fox for Coyote Clinic

If you've followed this blog over the years, attended one of my Coyote Clinics, or been out hunting with me, you'll know that I prefer close quarters hunting. Most of the predators that I kill every year are shot inside of 50 yards, and a lot of those are inside of 50 feet. I usually get this done with my Remington 870 shooting Remington 3" #4 buckshot through a Remington Xtra Full choke. Why do I enjoy the close quarters hunting so much? Here's a short list:

  • Predators feel more secure in an area where they can approach more closely and not be seen
  • Predator numbers are usually higher where there is more ground cover
  • The hunting action is fast paced and more exciting
  • Most hunters are not willing to make the long hike or crawl through the thick brush to get to these locations, which means that the animals are less educated to predator hunting sounds

A gray fox is laying in the shadows at the end of my shotgun barrel

At every Coyote Clinic we do a skinning demonstration, and do I headed out for some predator hunting a few days before the most recent session. After a long morning of hunting coyotes in the cedar flats with no success, I decided to switch to some thick cover calling after lunch. I hiked and crawled back into a canyon that was choked with thick brush until I was able to find a small opening. I checked my watch and it was 14:14, then I fired up the call. Based on my experience with thick cover calling, I knew to be ready to shoot before starting the call, and for this stand that paid off well. It seemed less than 30 seconds had passed before a gray fox came tearing towards me, and after I shot her and did a quick check of my available line of sight, I looked at my watch - it was 14:15. Less than a minute had passed before this fox was on stand, and that is typical of thick cover calling, especially when foxes are involved.

This gray fox was on stand in well under a minute while hunting the thick brush.

I continued to call that stand for another 9 minutes, and when nothing else showed, I packed it up and headed back to the truck. I had the animal I needed to skin for the Coyote Clinic, and it was time to head home. If you're looking for a way to increase your predator numbers, consider getting into the thick brush, but don't forget stealth! Animals nearby are usually very close nearby, so don't go tearing through the bushes like a Sherman tank. And be ready to shoot before you start calling!

Happy Hunting!



No comments:

Post a Comment